Still developing, as the big guys like to say: reports have surfaced that there have been class action lawsuits filed against Sony in California and New York. The complaints detail the following violations:
- Violations of the Consumer Legal Remedies Act (Cal Civil Code Section 1750 et seq.);
- Violations of the Consumer Protection against Computer Spyware Act (Business and Professions Code Section 22947-22947.6); and
- Violations of the California Unfair Competition law (Business and Professions Code section 17200 et seq.)
In New York:
- Computer fraud under 18 USC 1030;
- Deceptive Business Practices under New York Law (Sections 349/350 of the GBL); and
- Common law fraud.
As Marvel Comics editors used to say, a big No-Prize to the first reader to point to the full text of the complaints. (And tip o’the hat to HardOCP for the pointer.)
Update with some additional pointers: according to News.com, the California firm filing the lawsuit is Green Welling, whose home page as of this writing indicates that they are “investigating” the matter. And Internet News indicates that the EFF is investigating as well. Finally, this post on Spamroll indicates that Ethan Preston is getting into the act. Are these efforts connected, or separate suits?